Friday, November 2nd, 2012

by admin on November 2, 2012

Mike Russell saw Skyfall. But he can’t TALK about Skyfall. I mean, he can say that it’s awesome, and he thinks Javier Bardem might get an Oscar nomination, but he can’t REVIEW it. He can talk about his favorite Bonds, and the Disney/Star Wars news, and why he thinks the theory Bobby helped push around the internet on Halloween is true even if sources debunked it, and where he sees the silver lining in the possibility that Dark Horse might lose that Star Wars license. He talks about Wreck-It Ralph even though he hasn’t seen it, and Bobby brings up the little spat spinning out of it, involving who else but Steve Wiebe and Billy Mitchell.

Drew November 2, 2012 at 8:31 pm

A Tom Cruise film where he’s not playing himself is Legend.

Monkey Pants November 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I saw Wreck it Ralph today. You’ve probably heard by now, but it’s actually really damn good! The comparisons to Who Framed Roger Rabbit are inappropriate and misleading, though. It’s got a lot more in common with Toy Story, in terms of how it uses it’s licensed properties.
Maybe not quite as good as Toy Story, but it comes a lot closer than I would have thought, going into the theater.

Bryant Burnette November 4, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Agreed on all points. I thought it was great, top to bottom.

Alan Tudyk does a hell of an Ed Wynn impersonation, too.

Jimmy B November 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I still defend Live and Let Die, it’s shite but it is fun shite and the stunts are fantastic. I don’t really rate other Moore Bond films. And I prefer Brosnan’s middle two films to Goldeneye and that crap with Halle Berry and Madonna in it. Again, mostly because of the stunts and because Tomorrow Never Dies has Michelle Yeoh and that awesome bike chase scene.

Dalton is the best actor to play Bond before Craig but he was given poor scripts.

Bryant Burnette November 4, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I grew up during Moore’s era, and god help me, but I still love him as Bond. All of his movies are garbage to one extent or another, but even the worst of them has awesome elements here and there, like that incredible aerial photography in Moonraker. And, yes, especially those stunts in Live and Let Die, which are just tremendous.

I was glad to hear all the love for On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, which is one of my favorites. I think Lazenby is kinda awesome in the movie, on the whole. He gets hamstrung by some weird editorial decisions, and there are a few scenes where he gives legitimately awful line readings. But he’s also got numerous scenes that he flat out fucking NAILS, and he’s got terrific chemistry with everyone (especially Lois Maxwell and Bernard Lee, not to mention Diana Rigg).

Bobby November 4, 2012 at 10:49 pm

BONUS PODCAST: Not from us – from Colin Marshall, the host of “Notebook on Cities and Culture.” He travels all over the country, interviewing all manner of writer/artist/creator/actor/producer, etc. For his Portland entry – he picked Mike Russell.

You should listen.

Andrew November 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

No other film series has lasted that long? How could you forget Godzilla!?