Monday, November 5th, 2012

by admin on November 5, 2012

So, Cort and Bobby told everybody the show was going away in a month. Obviously, there are a few questions that arise from such a statement. There are a few answers to those questions inside this podcast, but only a few – I mean, the show’s still gonna be around for a whole month, so there’s plenty of time for us to crash this Titanic into any number of icebergs. There’s also plenty of time for us to get hyped for Skyfall, and the LOUD SHOW screening we’re hosting at the Roseway. There’s plenty of time to talk about Halo 4, Assassins Creed 3, and reading internet comments with Ryan Fleming of Digital Trends. There’s lots of time to talk about Cort’s latest misadventures with his youngest daughter, involving a fireplace bellows and a 3 year old who’s already learned how psychological warfare works. All that, and Bobby dares call the “tightness” of the presidential race into question.

Big J November 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Burned out? You guys did a pretty damn good job hiding it.

Big J November 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I must admit, that I stopped listening to all of your shows and only listened to the Tuesday and Friday shows.

Bobby November 5, 2012 at 9:46 pm

The combinations that long-time listeners have come up with to keep the show fresh (ish) are always interesting. I’m willing to bet 50-75% of current listeners only listen to one or two days a week, tops. The burnout, such as it is, works both ways, I think. :)

Shad November 6, 2012 at 12:03 am

If that’s the case why don’t you guys go to a once or twice a week show instead of going away completely? (this may have been addressed in the episode, I haven’t listened yet). It seems like a good compromise yeah? I’m certainly not burnt out…

Fredgiblet November 6, 2012 at 3:13 am

I haven’t missed a show since you went off the air and into the tubes.

Anonymous November 5, 2012 at 10:15 pm

No, seriously, fuck this! I listened to the BTTF commentary three times this weekend. You two leaving is awful, and I fucking hate it. I love you all, and I’ll miss you, but this is bs man… Wow :(

Patrick November 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Cort and Bobby.

I will miss your show.

When I first returned from a two year hiatus in Santa Monica, I begrudgingly tuned in KUFO after finding 94.7 had really sunk down into pop grunge constantly, I know it’s a slightly oxymoronic pairing when talking of grunge itself, but you know the music I mean. I remember when KUFO came on line back in the eighties. KGON had dropped the harder rock from their line up recently, and the arrival of a new rock station was heralded as wonderful by all.

And, it was okay. Rock got really bad shortly after the station launched. Not really their fault.

Four years ago as I tuned into 101.1 with a bit of a grimace, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the Cort and Fatboy show in between the music I could take or leave. Soon as I learned of those first podcasts you were doing back in the day when you were still on the station, I again dropped the station and listened to the cast instead.

I’ve caught every one of your shows on the interwebs, and have truly enjoyed the ride.

So, questions I’m now wondering. I know Cort is a Dad and has a day job, and can understand wanting to spend the time it takes to put this show together five days a week into other things. Bobby, however, is the flutterby of Portland’s podcasts.

So, I’m wondering. Nerdfight? What happens with your schedule on that? Will you be more involved with Ham-FIsted Radio?

And I know Cort will reply with an emphatic “NO!” from gut instinct, but I wonder, is there the chance of catching either of you on The Big and Loud Podcast from time to time?

Throw in OPB and you’ve got my radio/podcast life there I’d have to say.

You two certainly had a hand in launching an internet norm.

Also, since you are going out finally, could there, maybe, perhaps, be one last all time Dirty Laundry? Cause that’d be pretty cool.

Again, thank you for all you guys have done. It’s been great.

... November 6, 2012 at 11:55 am

I second the vote for one last Dirty Laundry!

Voltron November 5, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Thank you both for all of the work and laughs you have given me for years.

Let us not look at the future but have a look at the past. What would be everyone’s favorite part of the show in the past? It could be a segment of the show that has past, like Versus, or a story they told.

My favorite story from the past would be Bobby reading the Super Mario Craigslist sex ad back during the Army of Darkness show.

Geekoid November 6, 2012 at 8:02 am

You guys will be missed. I listen to every episode that Byron isn’t on.
Good luck guys, I look forward to your next endeavour.

Regarding internet trolls and flame posts, Ryan said:
“You guys are what’s wrong with gaming right now.”
I would say:
“You guys are what’s wrong with the internet right now.”
Cause it’s every where.

Fidelacchius November 6, 2012 at 8:03 am

Bobby and Cort,

I’ve been listening for about 3 years now, I found you guys as a podcast, and I’ve only ever missed one show (Cabin in the Woods discussion, I hand’t seen it). I don’t listen to the radio or music very often because i feel like I’m losing an opportunity to learn something. As much as I appreciate the self deprecating humor, I have to say you guys are far from mediocre, you rock.

I love the fact that I can get my video game and technology news (Ryan), film reviews (Mike), and perspectives from interesting personalities (David, Courtney, Byron, Jim (R.I.P. :) ), Liea, and other assorted guests) all in one place. And you two make a great team, with the right mix of humor and insight. Thank you for the time you’ve given me.

I don’t begrudge you shutting down the podcast, I can only imagine how time consuming it must be, but I do have a few questions:

On what other podcast can I find you guys and your guests, if any?

Are there any daily podcasts that you can recommend that can give me the tech, entertainment news, and film reviews that I’ll be missing from you guys and that can fill an hour?

And can you film the enitrity of C&FB is dead and post it?

Thanks,
Andy

Bumbo November 6, 2012 at 8:12 am

After the live show, will you both be turned into ‘Soylent Meh’?…

…cos that’s not something I’d be willing to put in my mouth

Geekoid November 6, 2012 at 8:13 am

“Electoral college will go away”

You’re so cute. I would love for it to go away, it hasn’t been reasonable for 40 years.
If someone does call for change, the states that unfairly benefit form it will vote against them.

That said, I would love to see you’re forecast come true.

“Jinxing”? Anyone who says that seriously shouldn’t be allowed to vote because they are too damn stupid.

raftrap November 6, 2012 at 10:37 am

Can’t put on words how much I loved this show through the years, sad to see (hear?) it go, hopefully after you both rest, you get the podcast itch back and make at least 4 a month, one regular guest a week, just a suggestion, but I wouldn’t forgive myself if I hadn’t made it. Anyway, best of luck guys, you’ve never been anything short of amazing.

Jessica November 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

If you’re so burnt out, maybe just do a once a week thing?

I’ve listened to every show, and even managed to get caught up after a few breaks when travelling.

Shad November 6, 2012 at 11:10 am

A once a week podcast that’s a few hours long that they can do anytime during the week seems to be the way to go…at least…I wish it was the way to go.

Bobby November 6, 2012 at 10:55 am

I think the “burnout” thing is getting a little too much importance placed upon it. There’s some burn, it’d be silly not to address it, but it’s also just that this show feels like it should be ending. I mean, it can’t just indefinitely go on forever. It has to end at some point. I’d rather we make the call as to when it ends as opposed to someone else (or lots of someones) making the call for us. That has just as much to do with the decision as things like “I’m married w/ a full time job and I have two kids, one of which is in an extended war with the neighbor boy”

TSW November 6, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Bobby,
What tells you the show should be ending? Flagging numbers? Increasing negative feedback?

I don’t hear any drop-off. Truly. Guests and regulars are as entertaining as ever. I do hear increasing levels of self-deprecation with regard to your own show to the point it comes off as affected. Why do you think your show is close to the suck threshold?
I’ll be honest: the self-deprecation bugs me. I don’t think its justified in the least. I want to think you think your show is good, if not great. You guys regularly and genuinely tout your sponsors, your sponsor’s events, your friend’s events, your guests work, your regular’s work. Your endorsement affects turnout at all of these, in a major way.
You even promote other podcasts which may or may not be nearly as good (they’re not). Yet when you discuss your podcast ON your podcast, you guys struggle to even be neutral. The default is always excessive self-deprecation. I certainly hope this isn’t a case of Portlanditis, an affliction in this town whereby some quality creative types suffer an inability to verbalize/publicize their work with a certain level of pride. Maybe I’m misguided. Maybe you beam with pride away from the show. I do hope deep-down you know you are making good work, even today. If not, may this post operate as a Stuart Smalley-esque mirror of positive affirmation for you.

Bobby November 6, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Of course the self-deprecation is partially an affectation. If either of us truly believed we sucked, we would have stopped long ago. It’s only because we’re confident of the show’s quality that we can poke fun at why some people might not choose to listen. We’re not poking at our shortcomings in the sort of Elementary-School-Logic “Well, if I make fun of me first, you can’t,” because that logic is broken. We’re poking at them in a “Nothing is safe, and some of the best comedy comes from pointing out your fuckups.”

We don’t think our show is close to the suck threshold. It’s got a dumb name, people never really took it all that seriously, but it’s not a bad show in the slightest. But on the other hand, I don’t think either of us want to allow for that self-indulgence to start creeping in if we get comfy patting ourselves on the back. Start getting high on our own methane. Stop looking at how we can improve and just get in a comfy little rut spinning wheels and running otu the clock.

Again – it feels like a good place to stop. I can’t quantify it any more than that. Have listeners dropped off? Sure, some have. Some have hopped on. Some old-schoolers gave up on us years ago, some new schoolers still download every episode. To use the example from the show: Cheers was still a top 10 show when it left. Tens of millions of people were still watching it. They still turned the lights out.

The idea is to end with the audience wanting more, not saying “Well, I wish they hadn’t stuck around so long.” And with 8 years of this, it’s hard to argue there’s anything we’ve really left on the table .

TSW November 6, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Makes sense. I know you jest, and it’s good to hear you appreciate your own work, though there are times the self-deprecation seems to cross a line, making it hard not to interpret it any other way than “No really guys, our show is pretty weak.” Maybe this is your way to protect against hubris. Regardless, I doubt you’d ever get that way, you both seem too humble.

Good also to hear you say you know your audience will be left wanting, strange as that sounds. You leave with confidence and total agency. I like it. It’s an interesting approach, especially in the podcast world where no one stops trying to get better numbers (or the world of pop culture where nothing stops until it’s bled dry). Sure, some have quit but the one’s I can recall oozed complacency so it wasn’t much of a surpise. Still think C and F had the potential to evolve. Nevertheless, happy for you both. Very. Too many people stay mired for too long in relationships, jobs, life tracks, etc.

The Norwegian November 8, 2012 at 2:19 pm

The only thing I would add to this is
Yeah, they cancelled ‘Cheers’ – but then they made ‘Frasier’ ;)

*Waits and hopes*

Shad November 6, 2012 at 11:11 am

I’ve had other podcasts that I love go away on me, but those were always once a week deals and never had the importance in my life that Cort and Fatboy does. This show is something that I do every day, no exceptions, rain or shine. It’s been a part of my daily life for many years and the idea of never hearing it again in any capacity fills me with dread and sadness. Maybe its sad or pathetic but I really do feel like a friend of mine is dying (or maybe it feels more like a breakup). I just hope Cort and Bobby find great happiness in success in all the things that I do because even though they don’t know who I am and I’ve never really met them, I do love them dearly as both entertainers and as people and I want them to be well above all other things.

Shad November 6, 2012 at 11:13 am

It’s also not just the loss of Cort and Bobby either…but of Ryan, Byron, Leigh, Big Jim, Courtney, David and especially Mike that makes me sad. I feel like all of my friends just died in a fire.

AlexGant November 6, 2012 at 11:27 am

I foresee Cort calling Fatty on the phone for an hour a day starting Dec 8.

Shad November 6, 2012 at 11:28 am

I don’t want to envision a world where Cort and Bobby don’t talk to each other for at least an hour a day. I hope you’re right.

MD November 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

I’ve been listening to the show for just under two years and have listened to every episode during that time. Having moved here from the UK, your podcast increased my love for Portland and the many things to do here.

I will admit that as time went I found myself playing catch up more often and I was starting to consider which days I could drop. A difficult decision as all the guests were entertaining.

I wish Cort and Bobby all the best and thank you for such an excellent podcast. Maybe sometime in the future we might see the team recombine in a new podcast with a different and less frequent format.

MD November 6, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I forgot one other thing, I hope that in any future projects you do, either together or separately, you look at increasing the ways for us to give you our cash! I’ve bought things from TFAW via the link and came to the midnight movies but I always wanted the ability to make a direct donation towards something that entertained me so much. Many of the other podcasts or even websites that I use regularly have this option and it is nice to feel you are giving something back.

Foible November 7, 2012 at 7:47 am

I second this! I have enough comics and T-shirts and I don’t want to watch old movies at midnight. I’d rather have a way to directly support the people entertaining me.

calebiskilling November 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

This is depressing. You guys are the best podcasters in Portland, no goddamn joke. I also endorse the idea of reducing the show to once a week if you feel you cant do every day.

I’ve never laughed so hard as when you guys and Big Jim made a few unofficial mottos for Simpler Times beer.

Cort and Fatboy forever!

DW November 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm

My question is what is the best way to check if you guys are going to appear on other shows in the future or if you possibly launch something else? Also just want to say I’m going to say I’m going to miss the show, I have been a listener since it was the Cort and Boomer show in spite of here that god awful Metallica or Buck Cherry song for the 14th time.

Marcus November 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Could you guys maybe get together once a month a do a commentary on Midnight Movies you never got to? The MMC are always my impetus to see classic films I never really had the drive to thanks to some interesting input from folks I like.

Grumpkins&Snarks November 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Thanks for the hundreds of hours of entertainment over the years! I’m really going to miss you guys and your lineup of regular guests. I hope you’ll consider doing sporadic episodes or midnight movies sometime in the future for my own sake, but I can’t blame either of you for just wanting be done at this point. We will watch your careers with great interest.

ಠ_ಠ

Shad November 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I think you guys should shut down “Cort and Fatboy” in December, take a few months off and come back with a rebranded weekly podcast sometime next year.

I’m not telling you what to do…just…merely “suggesting”

I’m just desperate

Schmendrake the Great November 6, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Cort and Bobby,

I’ve been listening since 2003 when it was still the Cort and Boomer days. I can’t possibly thank you enough for the constant entertainment and wonderful mediocre humor! Please know that your years of high quality mediocrity have been a highlight of many of your listener’s radio/podcast experiences.

Thank you again for the years of free entertainment and good luck into the future.

Regards,
BG

P.S. GO CORT!!

James Fox November 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Where do we send the flowers?

Mike November 6, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Been listening to you guys since Middle School. Your podcast became an integral part of surviving the school day. I am still in shock from the news and don’t really know how to react. I feel like walking out into traffic.

It’s been a hell of a ride, I’m going to miss you guys profusely. You were supposed to keep your show around until I was 21 so I could attend a midnight movie, but I guess life is kind of a bitch.

So say we all.

Kyle November 6, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Damn it. I’m going to be sad for a while. I respect your decisions or whatever, but this had just become a part of my everyday. Everything about it was great and I’m definitely going to miss it. Thanks.

Kristy November 6, 2012 at 10:20 pm

This just breaks my heart. I used to listen to you guys on the radio when I lived in PDX and picked up the podcast during my long commutes to school. After moving back to my home state, very far away from the lovely Pacific NW, I have been listening to you guys daily at work. It’s weird because as long as I listened to your show, I felt like I was still a Portlander in some ways. I felt like I could still connect with this place that I had to leave behind.

I’m gonna miss you guys. I have such fond memories of the Midnight Movies. I remember being so impressed with you the first time I heard you guys on the radio. I was shocked that Portland had such a smart, entertaining show on an alternative station. It was a bit of a culture shock to me.

I’ll miss the laughs that you guys gave me every day as my office job drags on and on.

Also, this may sound weird, but out of your guests I will especially miss Courtney. I’m a shy, sorta awkward, creative type and I’ve always related to her. I tend to blurt out odd things at odd times and do silly voices and I just see a lot of myself in her antics. She has the ability to really brighten my day and help me embrace my awkwardness. Ha ha. I’ll most definitely miss the Wednesday shows.

I hope you guys team up again in the future. This really just breaks my little heart.

Shad November 6, 2012 at 11:30 pm

This is something that kind of bugs me, I know people that have moved away from Portland in the past few years who use The Cort and Fatboy show as a way to still feel connected to this city in a meaningful way. At least I still live here, I can’t imagine how those people must feel.

Kristy November 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm

It really feels like I’m being cut off. I know that’s so silly, but it’s true. I’ve lost touch with most of my friends out there, but Cort and Bobby were always there!

Vicki Dunn November 7, 2012 at 12:04 am

This makes me very sad. Listening to you EVERY DAY, along with your guests, has become a part of getting me through my mundane job. I don’t pick and choose which days to listen to; I listen to them ALL (even the cringe-worthy ones…lol). Planning to be there 12/7 for the final show. Sigh…..

Peg leg Pete November 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I would like to say thank you.

I’ve only been listening for a couple of years, so I can’t really hang with some of the people that have listened since you were on the radio. In the time that I’ve listened, I’ve gone through just about every part of the emotional spectrum. I’ve laughed so hard that my co-workers thought I was crazy. I’ve been sad when I have heard some of the tragedies that people have talked about on the show. When you have said something that I disagreed with, I’ve been angry. But through all of that, I have always listened. I have loved your show, and have made it a part of every day.

I am glad to hear that Bobby will still be producing Ham-fisted. I sort of assume that means he’ll still be on once a week, and I’m glad we still get to hear him. I hope that the end of the show will encourage other members to start their own, or attach themselves to existing shows. I wouldn’t say that it feels like everyone is dying, but it does feel like the end of school, and I’m afraid of losing touch with people I care about.

My only request is that if or when things related to the show do pop up (being a guest on a show somewhere, an event popping up, even a “i’ll be at this-and-such bar if anyone wants to hang out”) that you blast it out to us over the various internet channels so we can find you and reconnect.

Again, thank you for all the good times.

burn70down November 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Has all this guilt made you guys reconsider yet? :)

Honestly going to miss the hell out of this show, but can understand your reasoning. After all it is your intellectual property and therefore your right to decide when enough is enough. We all wish this wasn’t the time, but I think most would say that even if it was another ten years from now. I know I would.

I do agree with a lot of the comments about maybe coming back on a scaled downed version. And definitely hope you can set something up that will help keep us fans informed on any “happenings” you two might be involved in (some of us are anti-Facebook & anti-Twitter). I live down in Keizer and this show has always helped me find out about cool things to go check out in Portland. For that, and all the laughs and entertainment, I thank you both from the bottom of my heart!

PS – Go Cort!

burn70down November 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Forgot to add this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l84Ajihli-o

There appear to be several heavy metal versions. I just grabbed this one.

tytheteacher November 8, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I just got the news since I’ve taken to power loading the week on a Friday (4 back to back with another when I wake up on Saturday morning). I realize that this is almost a week old now, but I’m going to post it up anyway.

I’m going to be sad to see you guys go. Your show was the first podcast I ever listened to. From the first one I was hooked and even went through the backlog on your website.

I have been teaching in China for what seems like an eternity because there are no teaching jobs in my part of Canada since everyone is moving out west for that oil money and really good pot, so it was move to “Fort McMeth” or Beijing. I was here with my wife for three of my six years and then she moved back to Canada to go back to school. The result was that I was alone in an apartment after school hours were finished, drinking too much and feeling generally shitty.

One day while looking through iTunes I found you guys. As mentioned above, went through the backlog, never looked back. I had my hour every week with you guys, then moved on to other Portland pods. The only ones still in the rotation have Fatboy in them (Nerd Fight and Ham Fisted Radio, which I save up and power load). I added in some pods like Nerdist, but you guys are still my absolute favorite.

My wife moved back this year and she initially asked me to stop listening to my podcasts. It took a while, but I finally made her realize that I have established an emotional connection with the show. For two years you guys were like a warm blanket that kept me warm and safe when bad thoughts started coming into my head and I was truly alone in a strange culture.

In writing this, what I thought was just going to be a short comment on thanking you for all the free funny, I realized that you should know that you guys made a difference in my life and I wish I could have found you sooner. Thanks for the memories you two. Good luck and take care.

vee November 11, 2012 at 2:49 am

Damn, this was pretty moving. It is strange how uplifting these shows can be.. I’ve never gone through anything worse than a case of the blues, but it’s great to hear the show became kind of like your connection to something familiar.

(I also know how alienating living a foreign culture can be, especially for such an extended period of time. Hope you’re more at home in China now!)