Friday, November 9th, 2012

by admin on November 9, 2012

Nice, full show with Mike Russell today. First up, some reminiscing on how Mike became the first, and longest running guest on the show; We spitball an Avengers spin-off that would feature the finest in syndicated daily comic-strips, and by finest, I mean “aaaaack”; We delve into whatever the hell World War Z has become, and whether we can actually still be disappointed by that after knowing it was coming; We delve into whatever the hell Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome has become, and why Bobby is disappointed in it even after knowing what was coming; Jurassic Park in 3D, and the change we’re really grateful that Spielberg never made to his Special Editions, and finally: Skyfall – Mike speaks at length at how this is easily as good as Casino Royale, and maybe even a little bit better.

Jimmy B November 10, 2012 at 9:53 am

World War Z was filmed in Glasgow, so I think the scarf was a necessity rather than a character choice :D

Also, the Battlestar prequel will be shown as a movie on Syfy in a few months, so you could just wait till then, Bobby :)

Eric the Canadian November 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I think the World War Z zombie thought process was something like this:
“We have to stress the threat of zombies as a whole: that the individual isn’t the threat, it’s the enduring onslaught of the vast hordes. It’s kind of like a bucket of water versus a tsunami, it’s completely overwhelming…”
“ZOMG TED, LET’S MAKE THE ZOMBIES INTO A TSUNAMI”
“No, Bob, it’s a metaph–”
“SHUT UP TED, YOU’RE A GENIUS”
“Son of a bitch…”

Bobby November 11, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This is one of the more plausible explanations I’ve heard

Skyfall was great. I know Cort agrees with Mike that its’ JUST under Casino Royale for Best Bond, but I’m putting it just a smidge (a SMIDGE!) over that film. I’ll need to see it again to make sure, but I had a hell of a lot of fun with it.

Voltron November 11, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Can you still do monthly commentaries? Maybe do the movies you showed before you started doing them.

SErepresent November 11, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Can we at least get the commentary for Fargo even if it’s no longer the December midnight movie?
Or how about a commentary on your Swan Song composed of you guys making predictions as to what’s going to happen at the show beforehand, to listen to while watching show. e.g. “Oh, Byron’s pulled his dick out again.”

P.S. The last one’s only slightly serious.

Bobby November 12, 2012 at 1:07 am

Nope.

and Nope.

Jimmy B November 12, 2012 at 3:51 am

Awww, that’s a shame. It would be nice to have commentaries from you guys every now and then. At least now you wouldn’t be ‘restricted’ by the Midnight Movies, you could do them on any film you want :(

Dan November 12, 2012 at 10:05 am

Please Mike draw that comic. Please!!!

vee November 13, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Seconded.

vee November 13, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Now that we’re reminiscing, I’ve been pretty influenced by Mike’s reviews on the show over the years. Not just in terms of what I’ve watched, or what I’ve been inspired to check out, but also the way I talk about films .. for example I use “condemn with faint praise” as an expression when discussing films all the time now.

Plus if it wasn’t for the show, I’d probably have never discovered his Sabertooth Vampire comics which are just the friggin’ cutest.

I miss the textbox from the cascadia.fm days so much.

I think much like most fans, Mike has moved from the “bargaining” stage (“could you guys still do X? or do Y semi-regularly? one more game of Z for the old times’ sake? oh please don’t leave us pleaseeeee”) of grief to the depression stage. Don’t worry, Mike, we’ll all get through this.

One day.