Friday, November 16th, 2012

by admin on November 16, 2012

Mike Russell kicks off the show with a quick check-in regarding Skyfall, where we delve a little more into the fun quotient of the film, and the overall ridiculousness of the plotting in almost every other Bond film that’s ever been made. We also slide sideways into the skidding production of the big-budget spinout that was Prometheus, thanks to the leaking of both Jon Spaiht’s and Damon Lindelof’s drafts of the script. Mike also dives a little deeper into the same wading pool Courtenay Hameister was lounging in on Wednesday’s show, and we find out that the owners of the liquor store next to the Roseway don’t like sweater vests. Finally – Mike takes time to devote a good half hour of one of his LAST shows… to talk about Twilight. Yup.

Mike Russell November 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Okay, so, show-note No. 1: Going out of business sale!

As promised at the end of today’s Cortandfatboy podcast, as a thank-you to listeners, “Cort and Fatboy and the Secret of the Buried Unicorns” — the world’s first and maybe only podcast tie-in storybook, I think — is now just THREE LOUSY BUCKS. Order here:

Made my money back on these a while back, and there are fewer than 100 left, so if you ever wanted one, now’s the time.

Shad November 18, 2012 at 12:02 am

Sweet. I have the old black and white copy that you originally sold at the first live show way back when but it’ll be nice to have a color copy as a souvenir. I just ordered one so I’m going to try and have everyone sign it at the last show.

Shad November 18, 2012 at 12:03 am

Or it’s just the cover that’s colored right? No matter, it’ll look great sitting on a shelf!

Mike Russell November 16, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Show-note No. 2: No discussion of Twinkies is complete without liking to SPY Magazine’s July 1989 series of Twinkie stress-tests and slightly horrifying recipe breakdown:

Riley November 17, 2012 at 10:54 am

And for those who don’t want to read it all and want to know the answers Suet is a form of animal fat. Its usually cow (it can actually be either).

Its the very dense stuff that when cold and feels very solid. I believe it is specifically the fat drawn off of organs.

It is often used in bird feed..and appears and smells disgusting when sitting alone…but when used in cooking…its delicions.

Mike Russell November 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Show-note No. 3: My Oregonian review of THE TWILIGHT SAGA: BREAKING DAWN – PART 2:

Mike Russell November 16, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Show-note No. 4: A follow-up to the discussion on web-content/podcast economics on Wednesday’s show with Courtenay. These are notes from a presentation I gave in 2008 on the habits of profitable webcomics, and webcomics are always figuring this stuff out about five years before everyone else, IMO. Obviously, several things have changed since then, but I think the principles still hold:

Mike Russell November 16, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Also, big ol’ correction, whoops: David Shire, not √Čric Serra, scored “2010: The Year We Make Contact.” I totally whiffed that one. Sorry!

Linda November 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Have I mentioned how much I will miss Friday shows? One more *sigh*

Shad November 18, 2012 at 12:00 am

I honestly think I will miss Mike more than anyone. I want to try and convince him to start his own movie podcast.

Mike Russell November 18, 2012 at 12:09 am

That is extraordinarily kind of you to say. Thanks! After C&F ends, I’m going to drastically re-assess my creative time — but I hope to turn up on the Boy Howdy Podcast and Ham-Fisted Radio from time to time if they’ll have me.

Big J November 18, 2012 at 1:36 pm

YOU BETTER! I refuse to accept a podcast world with no Mike Russell. David Walker is hard enough to give up, but I will not give up you Mr. Russell. Don’t go where I can’t follow!

Big J November 18, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I’m surprised you guys didn’t go over all the anti-Union bullshit surrounding this Hostess bankruptcy story. Just a bunch of fucking assholes, at the head of the company and Conservative morons, sticking the blame of Hostess’ collapse directly on the Breadmaker’s Union when it is clear as day that the company went under because the company sold a shitty product and had TERRIBLE upper-management.

Brian Walz November 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

While I agree that management has a huge part of the blame on this, you cannot discount the role of the Breadmaker’s union in this. When the Teamsters are telling you that you are being unreasonable, perhaps there is some credence to that allegation. One union, of 5000 members, put the other 180,000 employees out of work. The union is not blameless here, as evidenced by the fact that the other union(s) agree to the new deal.

As for the assertion that they sell a shitty product, I do not think that is true. Not healthy, true. Over-priced, yes. I think that is the real source of their problem. They were the premium product in a market where their primary consumers don’t care. Most of the people eating their product is probably kids, as a “dessert” in their lunchbox. Why spend $1.50 on a fruit pie from Hostess when you can get the store brand (which tastes almost exactly the same) for 50 cents? Why get a box of Ho-Hos for $3.50 when you can get a box of Little Debbie snack cakes for $1.99? I think they mostly failed to respond to what the market was telling them. That people either wanted cheap junk food, or if they wanted to splurge it wasn’t going to be for a Hostess product, it would be for something more “artisan”.