Tuesday, November 20th, 2012

by admin on November 20, 2012

Today’s show is brought to you by the letters D, for David Walker, and F, for Frustration. The show goes long because we’re so caught up in talking about various nationwide frustrations we don’t even notice how far in the rearview the hour-long mark is. Topics include: AMC shuts down TFAW’s Walking Dead screenings, because goodwill, free promotion and a sense of community means nothing in the face of getting more cable subscriptions; more dirt kicked on Kevin Clash, and why even if the man behind Elmo is fully exonerated, it’s still not a win; and we try to dig underneath the mentality behind denying your employees health benefits because you don’t wanna pay the extra 14 cents a unit it’d cost you to make sure they’re in good health, not to mention the decision to make them work on Thanksgiving.

blindnil November 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Its episodes like this one that have kept me listening. Bummer you guys are calling it quits soon. Nonetheless, thanks for the great free pod.

Jordan November 21, 2012 at 3:00 am

Look, I appreciate your outrage for Walmart customers, but I’m sick of people acting like all Walmarts are the worst place on Earth for their employees, without any actual experience for themselves, and for most people, no reference except news stories. I worked at Walmart as a cart pusher, and I did that job during the winter, in Vancouver, WA. So I experienced black Friday there. That is the second most miserable job in the store, and only gets payed minimum wage. We were almost always understaffed, and Walmart provided nothing to help us with the weather. It’s a shit job, and Walmart is a shitty place to work. However, at the same time, I have been more overworked and stressed in school, trying to become a mechanical engineer, where not only do I not get payed, I actually have to pay the school to experience that shit. I have also been just as miserable, if not more, while working in a fabrication plant, for only $1/hr more, where I had to show up at 6 AM every morning, got shorter breaks, got to talk to pretty much nobody while working, and worked full time, and even over time at some points, on the same repetitive tasks for hours on end, with no benefits because they would only hire me through a temp company. Walmart sucks, but it’s not the worst place in the world to work, even on black Friday. And I have a feeling that a lot of the shit treatment at Walmarts is store specific, because they each have their own store manager, and I’m pretty sure treating employees like crap is not in the guidelines handed down to every manager. One thing that is both terrible and hilarious about Walmart is their demonization of unions. Employee training consists of watching a video, where Walmart employees tell you how they love working there, and how unions are evil and just steal your money and do nothing for you. This was such a ridiculous video, that I had to stop myself from laughing in the face of the woman who showed it to me.

Geekoid November 21, 2012 at 8:00 am

” We were almost always understaffed, and Walmart provided nothing to help us with the weather.”
then
“, and I’m pretty sure treating employees like crap is not in the guidelines handed down to every manager”

Apparently the do.

I find you post laughable because I know two people who went through the Wal-Mart manger program, and they both went on to be managers, and then quit becasue the entrenched attitude toward employee.

Bobby November 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hey Jordan. I don’t know if I understand exactly what you’re getting at, but I’m gonna try to sum up what I think your argument is: Working at Wal-Mart isn’t as bad as trying to get an engineering degree because they give you breaks at Wal-Mart and they pay you, where you have to think really hard at school, and you pay the school.

I don’t get this argument. At all. You can’t really compare working at Wal-Mart to going to college. One endeavor is about scratching out a living. The other is about self-improvement so you don’t have to scratch out a living.

That you seem to be defending Wal-Mart while closing with an anecdote about how Wal-Mart management attempted to scare you away from unions with a propaganda video that made you laugh seems weird to me.

Brian Walz November 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

But then you completely skip over the next part where he talks about working at a a fabrication plant where he had worse working conditions than Walmart. His whole point was that Walmart, while not a dream job, is not even close to the worst place to work. Also, I don’t see his message as “defending Walmart” as much as being fed up with the demonizing of Walmart as if they are the only ones who do this kind of thing. I don’t see anybody ranting about boycotting products that are manufactured by Foxconn (which is most electronics companies) and Foxconn employees would LOVE to be treated like the Walmart employees. It would be a huge improvement on their working conditions.

Also, just because corporate is anti-union doesn’t mean they train their managers to treat workers like crap. People can be against unions and still be good to their employees.

Bobby November 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I skipped over it because it’s kind of a false line of argument. It’s not like his fabrication shop is part of a multinational conglomerate that applies that level of employer disinterest/uncaring/oppression systematically throughout the thousands of fabrication shops all over the country.

And your argument is equally false because at the center of it is the fallacy that you can’t point out wrongdoing unless you qualify that statement by allowing for and giving equal time to all other wrongdoings simultaneously. I’m talking about Wal-Mart, and Target, specifically, precisely because of the manner in which they’re fucking over their workers for Black Friday’s sake. That argument isn’t invalidated or made weaker simply because I didn’t also point out that his fabrication shop was a shitty place to work, or the guy running the stick at the turd-whirler in Poughkeepsie also has it pretty bad.

Basically – Why the fuck would you EVER be fed up with the demonizing of Wal-Mart? They deserve to be demonized. What is it about you, or anyone else, who feels the need to come to the defense of a business whose practices are almost entirely detrimental to its employees, and to society in general?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Brian Walz November 22, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Doesn’t look like anyone decided to listen. I had to drive by both a Walmart and a Target on my way home from Thanksgiving at my parent’s house and both parking lots were packed. I’ve never seen them as full as it was at 9pm on Thanksgiving. (Walmart’s parking lot was so full that the fast food places next to Walmart had people standing in their parking lots holding signs saying “No Walmart parking”)

Brian Walz November 22, 2012 at 11:24 am

Also, it’s hard for me to get too upset about Walmart wanting their people to come in earlier when most of these stores doing that are open 24 hours as it is. Although, I do think it should be voluntary and the workers should be compensated. I have worked a job on Thanksgiving before and didn’t mind it because I got triple-time for doing it. I guess it boils down to that I am not against them being open earlier, but how they are doing it.

Jordan November 25, 2012 at 3:32 am

Brian had my message pretty much perfect. Walmart is crappy, but it’s not the worst, and that’s what people make it out to be. People just like to rant, and a lot of them do it without doing research. I’ve heard a lot of people go on rants and demonize Walmart because they’ve seen a couple news stories. I have a friend who was happier working at Walmart than he is now at 7-Eleven, which is another large spread company. Why didn’t you go on a rant about them? Because they’re not on the news about their bullshit? Listening to people talking about it, including you on this show, makes it seem like a Walmart job is the worst job on the planet, but hey, at least they gave me the job. Nobody else wanted to hire me, because I was 21 with no work experience, other places didn’t even give me a chance. Even the plant job was only gained because my girlfriend’s dad is a manager there. Many people I’ve heard would like Walmart to just shut down, but I’ll only support that if they can name a place that will hire all of those workers afterward.

Geekoid November 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

I don’t think it’s like Pee Wee Herman at all.
In his case, his face was in his show.
With Elmo, you never see his face, and unless you look for it, there is no relationship between Elmo and the puppeteer. Kids don’t know whats going on.

Yeah, going only after civil court stinks to high heaven. There hope is for a settlement. The 5 million is about getting 150K for himself.
If they get into civil court it will all be about making the jury sad about what may have happened, and rewarding ‘just in case’.
False accusation, as opposed to just not have a successful case, Can be punished via counter suit.
If they lie in a criminal court, they court has punishments for them; which include jail.

burn70down November 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I love the idea of Bobby going from Wal-mart to Wal-mart and Target to Target hunting down people on Black Friday and shaming them with a bag of dicks that they will be forced to choke on and hold in their chest. Classic.