Friday, May 4th, 2012

by admin on May 4, 2012

Mike Russell returns, just in time for a semi-somber meditation on time running out. It’s hard not to think of such things when Adam Yauch just died, and everyone else is celebrating “Star Wars Day,” honoring a movie that came out 35 years ago, while some of us are futzing around on Netflix, seeing our favorite childhood shows pop up, and wondering whether or not we should click the “play” button and revisit some of those nostalgic memories and test their tensile strength. Yeah, the show is somewhat fixated on the idea of getting older, and dealing with the good and bad that entails, but it also deals with THE AVENGERS, and there’s a lot of light, fluffy, smartassed fun to be had playing in that particular toybox, too. It’s always good to have Mike Russell back. Enjoy your weekend.

Dorothy Zbornak May 4, 2012 at 11:16 pm

On the subject of artists whose later albums were huge steps forward:

Prince: his two albums pre-DIRTY MIND are just ‘bleh’

David Bowie: the change from the awful S/T debut to sparked a career of constant innovation and one-upsmanship

The Beatles: The early stuff is fun and revolutionary, but nothing compared to the latter years

The Rolling Stones: Ditto

Bobby May 5, 2012 at 9:10 am

Those are great calls. I think for whatever reason, Cort & I were sticking to artists from a similar time period as the Beasties. I don’t quite know why, it’s not like anyone laid any rules out, but we pretty much stuck straight to Late 80s-Mid 90s with our picks.

TSW May 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm

It’s a different scale (and a much diferent genre) but the one band/splinter band that seems to have evolved similarly over the same period of time is Wilco/Jeff Tweedy. Early Uncle Tupelo was crude and raw and very niche and now Wilco album releases are momentous as hell, extend to the masses and barely resemble their earlier sound, or the previous album for that matter.

Not to sound cheese-ball about this but MCA is hitting people hard, especially for guys like me who are pretty close to his age, not just because of his youth or the music but because his public perception evolved from snot-nosed dumbass to mature and respected voice for some greater good. They way he grew personally will probably define his legacy more than anything. Even though he was a huge star, a lot of us see ourselves on that same path in our own way. In the middle of trying to grow and be more than our inner youthful dumbass. And seeing someone on that path and from our generation taken down like that is pretty new and scary sensation.

Bobby May 7, 2012 at 8:24 am

That’s a really good way of touching on the nerve none of us could pin down on the show. Dude was STILL transforming himself, even at age 48.

Kasey May 5, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I’d throw Bad Religion on that list, too. How Could Hell Be Any Worse? is a solid album, but they were teenagers recording for pennies and it shows. Into the Unknown was odd and off enough it blew the band apart and got sent into the Memory Hole, Back to the Known kinda glued it back together, but Suffer/Against The Grain/No Control are three of the greatest albums of the 1980′s, beyond being core parts of the Punk 101 curricula.

Jimmy B May 5, 2012 at 5:53 am

Ok, regarding 80s cartoons. I love the 80s but I recently re-watched some of the shows I loved when I was a kid. And here are conclusions I have come to so far-

He-Man: Fun (Skeletor is awesome) and some of the action is pretty well done but it gets boring after a while. One of the good things about it is that there aren’t always the same bad guys every week (except bone-head) so sometimes the variety is good. Orko is still annoying.
Jem: Was really surprised by this. It had action (some of it violent like a robot throwing a dude through a window) and like Bobby said is actually better than you remember (‘but it’s a girl show!’. The songs are very 80s, obviously, but some of the writing is pretty sharp.
The Real Ghostbusters: Great fun. My favourite show as a kid but it honestly does hold up. Holy crap some of it is creepy, one episode has a bunch of ghosts whose faces melt to the skeleton ffs!. The first batch with the original voice work is the best. It’s weird, scary and often funny.
Transformers: Has some good action and some fun voice work but not the best show. Oddly, nothing really happens except robots hitting each other. Just like the Bay films, actually. The animated film where most of them die is fat superior as there are actual stakes involved.
G.I. Joe: Basically the same as Transformers. Some good action animation but it the tame non-violence just makes you shrug as an adult.
Muppet Babies: One of my favourites as a kid and as an adult I can appreciate the educational value but it just gets repetitive and while some of it is fun, you are best sticking to the live action Muppets.
Dungeons and Dragons: Excellent. Still holds up today, sharply written, great characterization and some tense moments. Plus, it has Tiamat the 5 headed dragon and one of the best underrated bad guys from the 80s in Venger. He’s still pretty creepy.

Mike Russell May 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Show-notes for Friday, May 4:

Studio Ghibli retrospective at the Northwest Film Center, showing through May 27:

‘Juan of the Dead’ at the Hollywood Theatre:

Kung-Fu Theatre presents ‘Invincible Shaolin’ at the Hollywood Theatre. Tuesday, May 8 at 7:30 p.m., w/ special Dan Halsted intro:

The Oregonian on Dan Halsted’s legal and financial victory after being Tasered by Portland Police. The part where the prosecutor tries to use the 25mm Shaolin Archive against Halsted in court is particularly embarrassing:

More on Halsted’s 35mm Shaolin Archive:

Rolling Stone on the death of Beastie Boy Adam “MCA” Yauch:

The source of that rumor, referenced by Fatboy during the show, that Sony execs aren’t thrilled with their “Spider-Man” reboot:

Info on the Friday 5/4 “Star Wars Bar Crawl”:

Mike Russell May 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Oh, and as discussed during this episode: Given that “Star Wars” turns 35 this month, you know what makes me feel old? This hat.

Assburgers May 5, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Coldplay can be pretty boring but this Beastie Boy’s tribute is damned touching to me: http://youtu.be/q9yq88LY2N0.

Sara May 6, 2012 at 2:15 am

I’ve been hit by that whole thing of nostalgia not being as good as you though. And pretty bad, too. For years, there was this movie that I could only remember small bits of, and I remember it being really good. But I could never remember the name of it.

Then one terrible day, I found it. It was a movie called The HuggaBunch and it was AWFUL.

The same thing went for a show called Today’s Special.

Definitely one of those moments when I realized that I was, in fact, partially retarded as a child.

D. K. Holm May 6, 2012 at 9:04 am

Your alternate universe movie castings reminded me of this website – project:

vee May 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm

There’s one shitty 80′s anime I grew up watching as a kid and me and two friends combined our moneys and bought the DVD boxset of it when one came out. It was a laugh, because it really was bad, but it was also thrilling to recall all those scenes and characters, and even though we weren’t 6 years old anymore and didn’t like it on the same level, there was definitely still that nostalgic “oh I remember this!” enjoyment, DESPITE the fact we realised this was pretty bad in terms of story-telling/technical aspects.

Really it depends on the show and the emotional impact it had on you, and your memories of it and the way you can reconcile the two shows (the one you remember, and the way you see it now) in your head. I think people probably took offence because there’s no way you can dictate whether everybody will just have their nostalgia feel-good emotions slaughtered by the badness of something, as it’s so enormously personal. You have a taste for sweeping statements, Fats, and this is one of those things where it’s possible to make one kind of sweeping statement (these animated shows aren’t amazing in terms of story-telling or even animation) but not another kind (“your nostalgia and enjoyment will be ruined by rewatching”)…

Now where’s the queue to cuddle with Mark Ruffalo’s Bruce Banner..?

Bobby May 6, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I really don’t think “Transformers & GI Joe are disappointing in hindsight” is all that sweeping a statement. At all. Especially considering the sheer number of people who have come to similar conclusions on their own since the advent of DVD made revisiting that shit much easier to do.

vee May 7, 2012 at 12:52 am

But my point was that it’s so personal, more so than saying “comic book fans will enjoy The Avengers film” or some other sweeping statement – film enjoyment is personal, too, but you can make those assumptions reasonably well. Like I said, sometimes the lack of technical credit does not mean you won’t get your nostalgic kicks, because the connection to the characters, shitty or not, is so strong and from childhood.

Bobby May 7, 2012 at 8:34 am

Of course it’s personal, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t (and don’t still) observe similar phenomena happening even with those personal connections. Which was what I was getting at with the original post in the first place: I wondered how many people were asking themselves “man, should I go back and even TEST this?” when seeing those pop up on netflix, because so many people before them, via DVDs and torrents and such, HAD gone back and found that the almost narcotic nostalgia hits the show was giving them still couldn’t override the quality of the show.

Sure, some can and DO still appreciate the show for what it is, AND for the nostalgic rush it gives them, and to those people: I’m WAY wrong. Which is cool. I’m wrong frequently, and in many ways.

BrainAmoeba May 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

You guys reminded me of Star Blazers, Geez, I haven’t thought of it in years. My friend and I would race home to catch it after school, like Cort’s story on the bike, almost. Deslock, and the Wave Motion Gun, great days. :)

MD May 8, 2012 at 9:52 am

Not sure if you had this show in the US but growing up in the UK my favorite was “Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds.” The 1980s original not the bad 1990 sequel. I’ve re-watched it as an adult and it is still good though this may be because it is reasonably closely based on its classic novel source material.

BSped May 9, 2012 at 7:59 am

I thought Radiohead’s second album was way better than their first one.

discount shoe online September 14, 2012 at 9:31 am

This is the perfect website for anyone who wishes to find out about this topic.
You understand a whole lot its almost hard to argue with you (not
that I personally will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin on a topic that has been written about for
many years. Wonderful stuff, just excellent!