Wednesday, November 14th, 2012

by admin on November 14, 2012

Leia Weathington didn’t make today’s show, but that doesn’t mean she didn’t help it. In fact, Leia’s absence led directly to a discussion on work, procrastination, the uneasy balance between the two, and how the internet is constantly shifting that balance, especially for Courtenay Hameister, who – like Cort and Bobby – are finding themselves caught in a space where they still think of “The internet” as this weird OTHER, as opposed to simply the dominant means of communication for the forseeable future. That reality is accompanied with a million little repercussions, especially if you’re a creative person looking to make something off your talents, be it fame, or notoriety, or (gasp) MONEY. It’s a show about expectations, both realistic and unfair, and re-evaluation not only of your own worth, but what “worth” even means. Yup, it’s one of THOSE shows. Hope you’ve got a comfy couch to lay out on.

Geekoid November 15, 2012 at 8:14 am

Podcasting question.
How come all the things that are done in radio are moving into podcasting?
Why does a podcsat need music leading into the show and out of the show? It’s not like you’re transitioning to the next personality after some commercials?
Seems like a waste of space and time. Some vestige of a Mesozoic age.

It’s almost as annoying as podcasts that do the ‘wacky morning’ thing.

Bobby November 15, 2012 at 8:38 am

Probably because it’s just what people are used to when it comes to auditory entertainment. It’s not just radio shows. Audiobooks often have a music intro. Radio dramas have music intros. And honestly, for lots of listeners, those intros/outros do delineate that one podcast has ended and a different one has begun, for users who listen to multiple podcasts a day.

It also doesn’t necessarily hurt. Most shows only have 30-40 seconds of music at the top and the bottom, tops. The amount of talk you could squeeze into those 30-40 seconds probably isn’t going to be all that interesting/scintillating compared to the 30/60/90 min that is the show entire.

Podcasts aren’t necessarily about efficiency, anyway.

Shad November 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Good answer to a dumb question.

BuffaloRiderSD November 16, 2012 at 9:08 am

I think music helps to get the listener in “the mood” for the podcast as well. It helps make the podcast more like a unique experience and less like listening to the people at the next table in the coffee shop chatting.

I know there’s been more than one occasion where I started playing this podcast with only marginal enthusiasm and then Mad Men or BSG got me actually interested in walking down a path with Cort and Bobby, even though they haven’t said a thing yet.

Fuck. Now I’m bummed that they’re ending again.

brett November 15, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I live for the noodley guitar intro to mediocre.

Theres a few of the C&F intros that come to mind… Fight club, mad men

I like how they were used as a device to promote midnite movies. These dudes have brains and the intro and outro have been considered.

I would love to unpack cort’s speech, but i must say do find your original element when persuing your dream. Mold it and figure out how to put it on display. Ive been very fortunate to see both part time and passion time become fruitful. And even crazier, they do feed one another.

brett November 15, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Fatboy’s speech, my error.

Shad November 16, 2012 at 12:01 am

I think this is one of the best episodes you guys have put out in recent memory. What’s been making these last two weeks even more painful is that the shows have REALLY been kicking ass. It’s like you guys have been injected with new found vigor now that the show is coming to a close and you’re both firing on all cylinders. It’s irony at its worst.

John Book November 16, 2012 at 1:35 am

A bit of a heartbreaker, this show is. I definitely related to many of the things in the show, partly because I’ve done/been guilty of many of them. Sad show.

Bobby November 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

I’m sorry man. I guess it was that kind of week here in the NW, as I read The Oatmeal’s comic and it had very much the same tone.

John Book November 16, 2012 at 9:40 am

Nah, that’s fine. Reality checks are healthy and more than welcome, kind of a Happy Days’ “Al” thing. Sweeping the closed restaurant and going “yep, yep yep yep yep…”